Monday 18 March 2024

Talking of Neighbours by Elaine Pearson


I have a lovely neighbour

Betty is her name

I think she’ll agree, she’s older than me

But we’re good friends just the same

 

I love to hear her memories

Tales of times gone by

It’s good fun reminiscing

But sometimes makes me cry

 

‘Cos things aren’t what they used to be

People just aren’t the same

You can live next to someone for twenty odd years

And still never know their name

 

Thank goodness it isn’t like that with us

We have a pigeon post

She sends me scones to die for

I send a Sunday roast

 

She’s a lovely little lady

And her family loves her so much

She’s lots of strapping grandsons

And they all keep in touch!

 

Now the lesson for this little poem

It’s her birthday today you see

I’m not going to say how old she is

That doesn’t seem right to me

 

So Betty, ‘Happy Ninety Second’ – Whoops!

And Many Happy Returns

Now hurry up and get that back better

And I’ll treat you to lunch at ‘The Ferns’!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Thank you Liz. for adding Elaine’s poem to the blog. Betty was my mother in law who lived into her 99th year and Elaine was her very kind neighbour. Elaine is a natural poet and has captured many memorable moments with Betty.

Liz said...

My pleasure - I hope she gets to see her poems on the blog 🙏 x

Irena Szirtes said...

How lovely....makes it even better to hear of the personal connection 🙂

Ann Reader said...

This is lovely